It’s hard to think that just a few years ago, Netflix was nothing but a mail-order Blockbuster. Especially considering how rare it is to see someone still get DVDs mailed to them with the service – and yes, it is still an option! Between smart TVs, fire sticks, rokus and apps, there is almost always a way to log on and have thousands of shows right at your fingertips. I’ve compiled a list of my all time favorite shows, most of which I’ve binge watched more than once, to share with you all. Some of these are Netflix worthy, and some are not… but I’m sure finding them online will not be all that difficult! Enjoy!
1. WHEN CALLS THE HEART When Calls The Heart is actually based on Janette Okes novels of the same name. Between you and I, the books are much better than the show is. However, the show will steal your heart from the very start. Elizabeth Thatcher is a young school teacher in the early 1900s. Shes decided to take a job out west, and in doing so has to leave her life in the city to begin this journey. Things in the small town of Coal Valley are nothing like she had expected, however she grows to truly love her new home…. especially meeting the very handsome and charming Mr. Jack Thorton.
2. SHAMELESS Excuse my french, but Shameless is fucked up. If you’ve seen it, you know that phrase doesn’t even begin to describe the things that go on in the Gallagher house. Six kids, a drunk father, an MIA mother and 2 neighbors that help hold everything together. If you’re looking for a show to make you feel good about your life, this is the one to watch. Shameless will make you look like a saint.
3. FRIENDS I’m not going to summarize Friends because if you haven’t seen at least 1 episode of this show then, I’m sorry, but you aren’t living y’all. Chandler, Monica, Rachel, Ross, Joey and Phoebe are my favorite TV 20-somethings. Friends is a timeless classic that you can watch over and over without it getting old – trust me, I’ve seen the entire show 5, maybe 6 times.
4. GREY’S ANATOMY Meredith Grey is an aspiring surgeon completing her internship at Seattle Grace Hospital which just happens to be the same hospital that one of the best known surgeons, her mother, Dr. Ellis Grey practiced at. Join Meredith as she goes through personal changes, relationship drama and family troubles all as she tries to follow her dreams and advance her career in medicine.
5. GRACE AND FRANKIE Grace and Frankie are complete opposites who, quite frankly, never really seemed to enjoy each others company. Until their husbands came out as lovers and announce their engagement, that is. Now they are living together and trying to get through life and find love again… when they aren’t arguing.
6. PARENTHOOD Parenthood is about the 6 Braverman siblings joining together to face real, raw issues within their family, careers and personal lives. I feel like anyone could relate to this show because the issues they face aren’t far fetched stories like in most series we see on TV these days. Watching Parenthood will not only make you feel like your family is normal, but it will also make you wish you were as close as they are. However, I will warn you to have tissues on hand if you do decide to watch it…. it can be a real tear-jerker at times.
7. GILMORE GIRLS **SPOILER ALERT** 32 year old Lorelai has finally secured her teenage daughter a spot in a highly prestigious school which she has been dreaming of for years, only there is one problem – money. So, Lorelai bites her tongue and asks her parents for a loan to get Rory started. My absolutely favorite aspect of this show, as well as many others, is the incredible bond between Rory and Lorelai. They seem to be not only mother and daughter, but also best friends and it is truly heartwarming. Watch little Rory grow up from her very first date to graduating college and getting pregnant.
8. GOSSIP GIRL Gossip girl is a blog who is always reporting on the scandals and secrets of the upper east side. Everyone tries to figure out who she is to try and stop her and put a stop to her life destroying games, but it isn’t until the very end that you finally find out who she is. But, trust me, it wont take that long to binge all 6 seasons of this addicting show and find out who is stirring up the drama.
9. LONGMIRE The Walt Longmire mystery novels have been on my reading list for a while now, but finding the time to read everything that I want to is near impossible. So, when I saw that there was a show about them, I was super exited! I’m one of those people that always has Netflix going in the background – cooking, cleaning, working. This makes it incredibly easy for me to get shows finished impossibly quick. I finished Longmire in about 2 weeks, and let me tell y’all, I was an addict. I actually sat down and binge watched this show without being pre-occupied; it was that good. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the series, it is about Absaroka County Sheriff Walt Longmire trying to maintain his career and relationship with his daughter, Cady, after his wife’s passing. In spite of the tragic recent events, and with the help of Cady, his best friend, Henry, and his partner, Vic, he decides to run for re-election. The show has a cowboys and Indians feel, of sorts, and keeps you on your feet.
10. WEEDS Nancy Botwin is still mourning the loss of her husband when funds needed to support her family become scarce. Against her better judgement, she decides to start selling – and eventually growing – marijuana. As she grows her illegal business, her associates grow as well… which could cause for some unneeded drama. Watch as Nancy tries to keep her family afloat and not get caught.
11. ANNE WITH AN E Anne with an E is definitely not your typical TV show, and I think that may be why I love it so much. What drew me into this show was the fact that it is actually based off the L.M. Montgomery novel, Anne of Green Gables. If you’re unfamiliar with the book, it is about an orphan girl in the late 19th century who wants nothing more than anything to finally find a family who wants her and treats her well.
12. HART OF DIXIE Y’all. I am a majorrrrrr fangirl over Wilson Bethel. So, when doctor Zoe Hart moved from the big apple to a small down in Alabama to run a strangers medical practice, I just KNEW that there would be some kind of story between her and Wade, whom is played by Bethel. I have 0 shame in saying that I have seen every single episode of this show probably about 4 times, because I love it that much.
13. JESSICA JONES I’m not a comic book person… AT ALL. However, as soon as I had recognized Krysten Ritter from her previous roles in Don’t Trust The B In Apt 23, so I reluctantly gave it a chance. Little did I know that I would LOVE it! Shes fierce, badass AND has superpowers.
14. LETHAL WEAPON So, I do have to admit that I’m not really liking the current season of Lethal Weapon as much as I enjoyed the previous ones, but it is still a pretty darn good show nonetheless. It is actually a reboot of the 1987 movie. Tune in to the FOX series to see ex-Navy seal Riggs and and family man Murtaugh fight crime in LA with 2 very different styles.
15. RIVERDALE .I finally gave in on all the Riverdale hype and decided to give it and shot and, y’all, I am an addict. Riverdale is dark, mysterious and everything you could ask for in a PG murder mystery.Honestly, if it was a novel rather than a comic book, i’d 100% read it.
16. NEW GIRL Jess had just gone through a gut-wrenching breakup, causing her to look for a new place to live when she found a loft with a single room for rent. She decides to take the room with bartender, D-Bag Schmidt, and ex-basketball player Winston she has no idea that they will soon become her odd, dysfunctional family.
17. THE RANCH Colt returns home to help out on ranch his family after taking his football career. His father, Beau, whom he hadn’t seen in 15 years is far from happy to see him, but gives him his job back nonetheless. Watch as Colt tries to prove himself to his father, win back his high school girl friend and relearn just how difficult life is when you aren’t spending every night under stadium lights.
18. THE RESIDENT The Resident is new, and I had originally turned it on because it has Matt Czuchry from Gilmore Girls (see below) in it. Little did I know at the time, but I would soon fall in love with this show. Dr. Conrad Hawkins is not only an amazing doctor who is willing to go the extra mile for his patients, but he is also willing to break the rules to get the results needed.
19. 9-1-1 Warning: DO NOT TURN ON 9-1-1 UNLESS YOU PLAN ON CANCELLING ALL PLANS UNTIL YOU ARE CAUGHT UP. Yes, it is that good. Join these first responders as they struggle with their own personal problems as well as some of the most tragic, shocking, heart-stopping calls you could even imagine. Earthquakes, killer escalators, roller coaster malfunctions and even zombies….. or so they thought. You’ll just have to watch to see how that one ends.
20. BIG BANG THEORY The Big Bang Theory is about physicists Sheldon and Leonard who share an apartment, their friends Howard and Rajesh, and Penny, who just moved in to the apartment across the hall. This is one of my all-time favorite sitcoms simply because not only is it funny, but the writers do a fantastic job showing personal growth from all characters, which I don’t find to be very common in sitcoms.