Fall. Autumn. L’automne. Herbst. Autunno.
Whatever you choose to
call it, it’s fabulous. Crisp air, crunching leaves, spooky everything.
When I think of fall I think of calm and comfort; It’s the only time of
year that I feel completely at peace.
I’m sure by now you’ve heard of the Danish concept,
hygge. While I can’t tell you exactly how to achieve this, since it is different for everyone, I can still help guide you in the right direction.
Here are my top 10 ways to have a hygge fall:
1. FIND YOUR SIGNATURE FALL DRINK. Caramel. Pumpkin. Apple. Fall flavors seem to take over shops and supermarkets this time of year. Find the flavor that truly makes you embrace the essence of the season and find time to squeeze it into your busy schedule, as often as possible. TIP: If you’re looking to make a healthier flavored coffee, Torani makes sugar-free coffee syrups that are to die for! (They can also be used for baking!)
2. FIND YOUR SIGNATURE FALL SCENT. It’s a Saturday afternoon, mid-October. You’re 13. You’ve been planning a trip to the local corn maze with your friends all week. Your mom pulls up, hands you a few dollars for the pumpkin patch and tells you to be safe. You buy a cup of cider and take the hay ride down to the maze and there you find a group of your favorite people. You sit down on a hay bale next to your best friend and finally you stop to take in the moment. You look around and realize how truly blessed you are. Listen to the children running around, feel the crisp chill in the air, take a sip of your warm, sweet cider. Now, imagine the smell. A mixture of hay, crisp leaves and…. autumn. That’s my signature scent. Walk into any Bath & Body Works this time of year and you’ll find an array of fall scents; from caramel and pumpkin to fires and leaves, they have them all. Find the scent that brings you back to a fond childhood memory and embrace it.
3. BUY A LIGHT, WARM COLORED SCARF. 50° in the morning, 70° by noon. Every year I go through a period of struggling where I want to dress warm in the morning, but I know I will be suffocating by noon if I even think of putting on that baggy sweater that looks so incredibly comfortable. Instead, I choose to grab a light, warm colored scarf and be on my way. Something thick enough to keep me warm, but light enough so that I don’t sweat to death is ideal. Just the simple act of not being uncomfortable at some point throughout my day makes me less stressed.
4. FILL YOUR HOME WITH PUMPKINS AND GOURDS. Pumpkins and mini pumpkins, need I say more?!
5. FIND A SPOOKY SHOW TO BINGE WATCH. Let’s face it, we live in a world where binge watching our favorite TV shows over and over again is basically second nature. There is nothing cozier than snuggling up with a nice cup of Chai tea on a rainy October evening (you can find my favorite one here) and binge watching Charmed or the Good Witch. What would your spooky show be?
6. MOOD LIGHTING. From the moment we wake up in the morning, we are constantly surrounded by bright lights. It’s no wonder we are always so tense, considering how difficult it is to relax when we are always being blinded by lights. Dim the lights in your bedroom, or hang some white rope lights for a calm, cozy night in to feel relaxed and at ease.
7. GET A PAIR OF EDGY BOOTS. Long sleeves, dark colors, edgy style. One of my favorite things about fall is the wardrobe. Autumn is the perfect time to trade the achy heels for cozy boots! Ugg boots, heeled boots, combat boots. All boots are fall appropriate for those edgy time of year. (I have every kind in my closet, too)
8. AND A COZY FLANNEL. Adding a lightweight flannel to your fall wardrobe is never a bad idea. Light enough for during the day and warm enough for the evening hours, you can’t go wrong with this cozy, versatile article of clothing. These days I’ve even seen folks jazz them up with lace or sequins. No matter your preference, flannels are a staple for fall.
9. GET YOUR FRIENDS TOGETHER FOR A BONFIRE. Spending time with those you love is such an important part of embracing hygge. Sitting around a cozy, crackling fire with 5 or 6 of your favorite people can be one of the most relaxing and refreshing experiences in the world. Snuggled up sharing stories and laughter into the wee hours of the marking brings such warmth to my soul, and a true, genuine happiness.
10. SIT BACK AND RELAX WITH A GOOD BOOK. Every October I set aside whatever I’m currently reading and break out my old Harry Potter novels. Witches and wizards, vampires and ghosts. I feel complete when I’m snuggled up with a cup of tea and a good book. Chai tea and Harry Potter are the perfect combination for your autumn escapes from reality.